Automation Access, a System Integrator specializing in small business, gives a status report of today's technologies with many links to supporting research. Some of the statements:
- The PC software industry is in the final days of being destroyed by Microsoft.... Soon there will be Microsoft, Intuit, and Symantec.
- Without an effective, well designed and well promoted Web site, your business, products or services, aren't going to be considered at all.... Not long ago, there were three network domains: LAN (Local Area Network), WAN (Wide Area Network) and "The Internet" (a very large peer-to-peer WAN). Today, there is only one: "The Internet".
- Web Services is becoming a very big thing, with the bulk of new system development within the corporate environment being rapidly moved to Web Services.
- Wireless has been around for some time, but only recently has it been able to overcome its traditional value proposition, "We're a lot more expensive, but we're a lot slower". Today, the price and performance differential is still there, but wireless is fast enough and cheap enough for a variety of uses. You use wireless where it is impractical to use wire, and nowhere where it is practical to use wire.
- Other than huge amounts of discussion and thousands of column inches by "experts", formation of high level government committees and papers issued by them, nothing substantial has been done [about computer security].
Looking for the latest in product and data science? Get our articles, webinars and podcasts.